Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The International Virgin



After waiting anxiously for 22 years, I finally lost my international virginity to Mexico. I know, she is MUCH older than I am, but rest assured that this was no hasty decision. I spent almost all of my undergraduate getting to know her. I read about her people, learned to speak her language, and listened to stories of her triumphs and struggles. If she had had a Facebook, I totally would have creeped alllll of her pictures. I cherished our long-distance relationship, but I was eager to take things to the next level.

On May 26, 2014, Mexico and I finally had the chance to meet face to face. I felt strange crossing the border into Mexicali. It was really difficult to tell when I had left the United States and entered Mexico. No one asks to see your identification, everyone looks the same, and the stores are basically the same, only everything is taking place in this weird underground tunnel space. I felt strangely uncomfortable walking through the unclaimed space between Mexico and the EE.UU, which was probably brought on by the abrasive sound of metal clanking on metal as people walked through the turnstiles. I can’t fully understand their purpose, but they seemed to be yelling, “CHECK OUT WHO JUST WALKED INTO MEXICO! NO SERIOUSLY, DOES THIS WHITE GIRL LOOK UNCOMFORTABLE OR WHAT?!” Anyway, it was hard to shake the feeling that someone (or everyone) was aware of my presence.

I (and the other Border Babes) made it into the city, which was everything I had hoped, hopped in a van, and headed towards the Instituto de Investigaciones Culturales. Our guide, Dr. Everardo Garduño, was gracious enough to open his museum for a private tour.  The museum was WON-DER-FUL. It was organized like no museum I had seen before. In sequential order, we viewed exhibits on the paleontology, archaeology, and contemporary peoples of the area. Most notable to me was the museums lack of artifacts in their exhibits. It wasn’t that they didn’t have the artifacts (they had a building full of awesome things, like dinosaur femurs, behind the museum), it was just that they weren’t necessary in the exhibits.
They used models and replicas to bring the information to life. The life sized models of contemporary people were so realistic that I found myself politely apologizing to a woman fishing the Colorado River after almost bumping into her. Unfortunately, she couldn’t respond because she was made of wax or plastic or something. Wow, so engaged with history…. I was thoroughly impressed by this museum. They recreated people and places in ways that I will not soon forget. When I open my own museum or school or someplace full of cool things, you can bet that there will be eerily convincing people statues.
Following our museum adventure, we met with graduate students of the university who presented their research to us. Like the museum, THIS. WAS. AWESOME. There was a translator present to help everyone navigate the language barrier. Only one of the three students fully utilized the translator’s super power. Which means that two students kindly presented their research in English for our sake. While watching these students bravely navigate a presentation in front of strangers in a foreign language, I realized what a pansy I am for not practicing speaking Spanish. SOOO that will be adjusted for the rest of the trip.

The coolest thing about leaving the country was the change in perspective. I don’t often think about the academics of the country. I think more often than not, when we think of Mexico we think of all of the people who need help. We don’t think of the people who are providing the help and making change within their own country. It was an experience that I will never forget, hearing about how the United States has impacted Mexico, from the perspective of Mexican academics. There was a moment, when a presenter was describing how much of a bully America can be, that reminded me of being a sibling. I know the United States is a huge jerk and I can pick on her all day, because she is mine. The second you say something about her, however, I might totally headbutt you in the face. Not that I would. But just in case, wear a visor or something.

 It was a frustrating, hurtful, revealing, and completely necessary experience. I am thankful for these experiences. The information and perspectives that we are exposed to throughout our education evolve to tell a more complete story. My studies at Hendrix provided the foundation for this trip, but reading and listening alone are not enough. You have to take the relationship to the next level. I am so grateful for this trip and our time spent traveling back and forth across the U.S.- Mexico frontera.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are having the trip of a lifetime! Kudos to you, the Border Babes and your wonderful professor who organized the trip. I'm very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about your experiences. Your writing has that special Audrey humor that I love! I am so grateful that you have this opportunity, and that you are getting so much out of it. I am excited to see where all of this takes you :)
    With love-- Stacey

    ReplyDelete