Saturday, May 31, 2014

Connections

In Mexicali, Mexico, we heard presentations by three graduate students. As I heard one master’s student give a presentation on homosexuality in Mexicali, I recognized many theories and themes that I had learned about in my Gender & Sexuality class last semester – queer theory, feminist theory, the idea that the “personal is political,” etc. More importantly, I experienced another dimension of connections at the border. Social science research in Mexico and in the U.S. is connected by similar overarching theories and ideas. While I expected to draw connections between what we had discussed in our Borderlands class and what we saw on our trip, I am surprised again and again by the different ways in which the borderlands connect to other aspects of my life, my education, and my identity.

This trip is all about establishing and recognizing connections. There is so much more depth in reading and discussing topics about the borderlands in class and then seeing these places in person, talking to people with different perspectives on border issues, and reflecting on those experiences with a group of six passionate, interesting women and one of my most inspiring, empathetic professors.  

I can read and write about land and water rights, indigenous groups, gender issues, the border patrol, immigration...but seeing everything allows me to combine my knowledge and interest in the borderlands region with personal experiences at the border. After driving through Yuma, AZ, I can visualize the Yuma 14 of Devil’s Highway desperately walking through the desert, hot sun beating down as sloping, dry hills and cacti stretch on forever. Counting the number of border patrol cars zoom down the highway as we listen to Spanish pop music brings the border to life. This is why we are here, at the U.S./Mexico border – to see and experience what we’ve only talked about in the classroom.

As a recent college graduate (as of two weeks ago, woop woop!) I am incredibly thankful to be a part of this experience, a member of Dr. Goldberg’s Border Babes. The Odyssey program, which emphasizes experiential learning or “learning by doing,” has been one of the best parts of my time at Hendrix. My past Odyssey projects – ranging from study abroad, self-designed projects, and coursework – have really shaped my academic and career path, giving me more focus while allowing me to succeed – and fail – growing more, perhaps, in the moments of ‘failure’ that led me to reevaluate what is most important to me.

After volunteering teaching health education in Nepal, learning about food security in Nicaragua, taking several courses that were cross-listed as Undergraduate Research, studying abroad in India, and interning at Heifer International, I had the opportunity to go to the U.S./Mexico borderlands with my professor and classmates. The more Odyssey experiences I had, the more focused my interests (in food security, women’s empowerment, foreign aid, international health, etc) became, while my worldview became broader and more open.

After I graduated from Hendrix, I knew that I wanted to build on the experiences I had through the Odyssey program, especially as they related to international health, anthropology, and food security. In September, I will be serving in the Peace Corps in Nepal as a Food Security volunteer. My Odyssey experiences have shaped who I am in many ways, and these experiences challenged me to apply for the Peace Corps last October. I am looking forward to the challenges that come ahead, and I hope to expand on the knowledge I’ve gained through experiential learning from various Odyssey projects, classes, and trips (like this one).


On this trip, I have seen light bulbs go off in people’s minds as we traverse the borderlands. It’s awesome to watch, especially as a recent graduate! It’s inspiring, too – I have learned and grown from my own Odyssey projects, but I am still learning so much from those around me. I see the other students learning, too, and it makes me wonder how this experience will shape their own interests and future research. It’s been really wonderful traveling with these smart, driven, and passionate women. Every day, we reflect on everything we experience throughout the day, coming together to share our perspectives with one another. I look forward to seeing what these driven, interesting women do next, as well as how this experience has shaped them.


No comments:

Post a Comment